Friday 10 June 2016

Heater cable guide tubes

This is the deformed remains of one old heater cable tube:


To fabricate suitable replacements I did some extensive internet trawling for suitable images and consulted the VZi forum for stock measurements etc. What I required was 10mm outer diameter steel tube with an inner diameter of 8mm. I hunted around online for a suitable stockist of this particular tube, but couldn't find anything suitable. However, for once I did find what I was after in B&Q of all places (a well known UK diy superstore)! Got a 1 metre length for £3, which I was very chuffed with!


Cut the tube down to size (x2 lengths, 345mm long) using a hacksaw, which left me with a convenitent smaller scrap length to practice bending and welding with:


Had a few thoughts about how to bend the tube to attain the curve I needed. I attempted bending the scrap piece around a small barrel, the runners of a rocking chair, a round garden table ....I was getting close, but not close enough! Now, in a funny turn of events my bicycle picked up a puncture on my way over to the garage and I had taken the back wheel off with the intention of repairing the inner tube after finishing up my resto tasks for the day. As I was staring at the length of tube I happened to gaze up at the detached wheel and had a eureka! moment. I took the tyre off and discovered that I had the perfect jig for this task:


I clamped one end of the tube down under a piece of wood:


Then I gently, yet firmly, bent the tube around the wheel. I used another clamp at the other end to help pull the tube down against its natural tendency to spring back up:


With the tube removed from the wheel it sprung out and rested into the perfect curve. I bent the other piece to shape using the same method and was delighted that they matched:


A quick dry fitting on the car confirmed that my low-tech bike wheel method had nailed it:


To asses the length and position of the factory weld I quickly shotblast the remnants of the old guide tube:


And then proceed to weld my fresh pieces into their final position on the car:


Got a bit carried away and shaped the welds using the Dremel to roughly match the look of the original brazed weld:


The end result:




2 comments:

  1. Very nice work, Rhysos. Keep restoring and documenting. I enjoy following your blog and seeing the top quality results you're achieving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael! Always good to hear from you. We will both get there eventually with our rides ;-)

      Delete