Wednesday 27 May 2009

The 1st milestone of a 10,000 mile journey

As I hoped, the weather stayed dry long enough for me to get out of the house and finish sanding the deck lid. It is a long process to sand these panels back to bare metal. I reckon I spent at least 10 hours on this one alone and this is one of the smaller panels of the car! Right, I think I have earned a beer.
Until next time :)

Stripping back the deck lid

I woke up yesterday to the greatest news - I couldn't go to work because the office had flooded due to a burst pipe or something. Sweet! Determined not to waste the glorious day I had been granted, I headed down to my local DIY shop and purchased a new bundle of sanding discs for my orbital sander and set to work stripping off forty year old paint from the deck lid. 

Here is a nasty little blemish that was lurking beneath my number plate. I shall probably have to cut this section out and weld in a small repair patch (once I learn how to weld, gulp!)

The orbital sander did a good job taking off the paint and accumulated grime, but obviously was not great at getting into tricky places. If the weather improves today I shall get out with my nimble 'detail' sander and finish the lid. (Oh yes, I have another day off work!)