Wednesday 30 June 2021

Quickie: sheared bolt extraction

Whilst I had good access under the scuttle area with the demister vent removed, I was able to deal with the remains of an old stubborn bolt that had sheared off from when I removed the bonnet;

This needed to be carefully drilled out. My goal, as always, was to go slow and not damage the threads of the mounting point;


I carried on drilling with slightly larger drill bits to increase the diameter of the hole. Eventually I was able to start picking out remnants from the thread. Using the correct size tap to finish up;

I could then check with a new bolt that everything was as it should be (with a liberal coating of copper greased for good measure);


Admittedly a small step, but this restoration malarky is all about ticking off thousands of these odd jobs. I will keep on inching forward...

No comments:

Post a Comment