Thursday 27 March 2014

Introducing...

My glamorous garage assistant:


So, I was delighted to got some much needed assistance last weekend in the form of my girlfriend, who turned out to be an absolute demon with the angle grinder and drill-mounted wire brush. Whoooop! Plus, she later confessed that she enjoyed working on the car – so I have a feeling that she is likely to become a regular fixture in this ongoing resto story...

Started with the inside of the rear quarter panels and got them primed up:




Then we began stripping the driver’s side front quarter:


A close-up of a couple of really crusty areas that made me shiver:



As usual there was a lot of filler slapped all over the place and a lot of tatty old repair patches slowly emerged from beneath the underseal:


Whilst my girlfriend battled on with the dirty work I decided to upgrade my front saw horse. Basically narrowed it to about a third of the original width and added some heavy duty braked casters to the bottom:


I actually ended up removing the top angled cross-brace sections as it was preventing the car from sitting back down on it correctly (forgot to factor-in the obvious!). Even without these sections it felt suitably sturdy and as the shell is now almost completely stripped of components I was not too concerned about the weight issue compromising the integrity of the structure.



It feels great to have a bit more working space around the front of the car now. I will get the rear saw horse sorted out next and then the shell should be fully maneuverable at last!

2 comments:

  1. Great work! Spent the day (Easter Sunday) reading through the back entries, while doing similar to my 69. Lots of hard work on display. Keep it up.
    chris in california

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris! Thanks for visiting the blog and for your encouraging comment. All the best with your '69 - I also spent my Easter Sunday beavering away in the garage ;-)

      Delete