Tuesday 11 February 2014

Still procrastinating on the shell

Finished cleaning up the rear valance and removed the remains of the tatty old seal lip: 



As always I gave the area a lick of primer:




Then I turned my attention and arsenal of wire brushes to the rear interior area. I did not know what I was going to find under all the rust, horsehair, glue residue and seal sealer:


There are the typical areas that will need patching such as the outer corners that curve around the wheel arches: 


And just below the rear window the was some corrosion that will need rectifying - I always remember the window seal being cracked, brittle and generally past its prime. I just wish that I would have had the sense to replace it before the bloody spongy moss started growing on top of it!


...but in all I was relatively relieved to discover that the whole boot section was in a fairly good state:


So, lots of fiddly sanding (which is still ongoing), but I am enjoying myself just plodding along on the shell. It is just a task that seems to fit my mood lately. Away from the garage I am on the lookout for a shot-blast cabinet so that I can strip some of the trickier parts (and there is far more of them than I first imagined!) - but to find anything that can contain parts of substantial bulk within the rather meager budget I have allocated is proving tough. So, I am weighing up my options and considering building one from scratch out of reclaimed wood. So, watch this space for a possible project tangent in the near future!

2 comments:

  1. Just found this blog. I am truly impressed, love the detailed pictures. Thank you for sharing you progress! VW lover from U.S.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking the time to leave such a nice comment! I am really pleased that you are enjoying the resto and blog!

      Delete