Monday 26 February 2018

Quickie: Scuttle repair plus a dozen drill holes

A quick update on the previous couple of weeks of sporadic garage work. First up, I chiselled off the bonnet seal retaining strip from the scuttle panel. It had become pretty ratty in places with evidence of rust creeping out from underneath:



Came off pretty easy. Just took my time and avoided putting any unnessarsary stress on the scuttle panel when prying it up:



Next was to cut out this little area that had rusted all the way through:





I could have made my own patch easy enough, but figured that I would instead use the corresponding section from the donor scuttle that I had. Feels good to know that a bit more German steel (albeit a small amount) is getting grafted back into the car: 



Welded, ground back and blended to an invisible finish:




My next mission was to patch up a total of 12 drill holes of various diameters that peppered the front-under-bonnet panel (not sure if this section has a technical name, but you'll get what I mean):




I am guessing that these holes would have been drilled by previous owners in order to mount radio units, car alarm systems etc. Some were small and discreet, while others were significantly larger and punched through the thin steel in such a way that they looked like mini volcanos:



For these unsightly blemishes a gentle bit of hammer & dolly work was required to make the areas flat and smooth out any depressions and denting in the local area:



Filling the holes was a simple case of backing them with copper and progressively filling with the mig welder before grinding back to a smooth finish on both sides. Just a bit of time and patience was all that was needed:



Last ones:








Holes no more:


2 comments:

  1. This is some pretty ambitious stuff! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly! However, I foreboding sense that the most ambitious repairs are yet to come...

      Delete