Tuesday 29 March 2016

Quickie: Battery bracket & bolt

A while back I had the idea of reclaiming the old battery strap retaining bracket and securing bolt from the old scrapped pan half (drivers side). It has been discarded outside and thus exposed to the elements for some time, but the bracket and bolt were just about visible amongst the rust:


With the bracket cut from the pan I started blasting it clean. Promising start:


Drilled the spot welds out to free the piece I needed. Its not actually in bad condition:


 
Bottom of retaining bolt blasted revealing the original factory spot welds (faintly visible in this photo):

 
Blasted clean and those spot welds drilled out:

 
To be honest, I do not know why I am compelled to salvage these particular parts as the 12V battery that the car now has is too big for the original strap and bracket (which was designed to accommodate a 6V battery). However, I personally think its good that those original features have been considered and incorporated into the rebuild. It will ultimately help to retain some that original 60's stock character - even if the purpose is redundant. Further down the line I may try and create a new strap system to suit a 12V battery and that works with this stock bracket and resembles the look of the original. We will see.

With the exact placement worked out, I drilled a hole in the floorpan ready for locating the retaining bolt:

 
I plug welded it into place on the underside of the pan:


Ground the welds down for a smooth 'factory' finish:


I fixed the battery bracket into place using a triangular welding magnet. Also widened up the spot weld holes to 6mm, which I have found is the minimum width that I can get a decent plug weld from: 


Plugs added and good signs of penetration could be seen on the underside of the pan:


Finished up and given the customary lick of zinc primer:


All done and looking stock fresh:

4 comments:

  1. Looking fresh. Its those little details that set a really good restoration apart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Todd! There are a few more details still to do, but the chassis is starting to take shape now

      Delete
  2. I have read your blog cover to cover thus far. Totally inspiring! I have just embarked on a chassis up rebuild and I've spent all day cutting the floor pans out, only to find the rust is far worse... I too shall have to rebuild Napoleaon's hat, amongst other bit! Still, you have shown me that nothing is impossible! I look forward to your updates!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Duncan! Thank you - I'm thrilled to hear that my blog has helped inspire and teach. Makes writing up my experience all worthwhile. I wish you the best of luck with your restoration. Yep, the rust is ALWAYS far worse than you think its going to be, but you do get used to it ;-)

      Delete