Wednesday 6 November 2013

Odds n' sods

I turned my attention back to the chassis again last week and started tackling some of the small but nonetheless important jobs. First up was smoothing out the bad welding that was highly visible on the transmission mount: 



After grinding the welds flat it looked far neater. However, I am now a little concerned about the strength of this joint, but I will keep under review and may come back to it in the future:



Next I focused on the reinforcement braces which sit underneath the outer edges of the floor pan upright sections and attach to the u-shaped brackets which come off the torsion bar housings. My originals were in a sorry looking state and had been butchered and plated over numerous times in the cars history: 


The driver’s side was far worse, with blobs of weld everywhere:


After carefully excavating all of the additional rusty layers with the grinder I found the original metal! 




What I am left with will provide a good basis for fabricating some replacement sections or I may just attempt to repair what is already there. I will ask around and come back to it soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment